Friday, July 1, 2011

Delicious!

Yesterday I made spinach casserole with some of the scapes. We all enjoyed it, and there was even some leftover for a freezer lunch. (I freeze leftovers in lunch-sized portions for taking to work).

Tonight, I'm made pad thai with the fresh cilantro, green onions, garlic scapes, and chinese cabbage. Usually I use zucchini, carrots, and cabbage for the veggies, but I'm embracing the CSA lifestyle and using what I have. (I did buy some bean sprouts though!) I only used less than half of the chinese cabbage- that thing is HUGE! We all greatly enjoyed the meal, and there was enough left over for several freezer lunches. :) Those will be some yummy days.

Our strawberries disappeared very quickly- Andy and I had some on Wednesday night with vanilla ice cream, and Susannah finished them off for breakfast the next morning. There's something about fresh-picked local berries that makes them so much better than the overgrown ones from the grocery store. I want to go "pick your own" sometime this weekend- maybe tomorrow. (I want to make strawberry-vanilla jam again.)

So far this week, we have eaten CSA veggies each day, but have needed to supplement them with some store-bought veggies. Once the season gets rolling I'm sure our store supplements will decrease, being limited to a few favourites. I love the idea of eating only what is in season, but with a toddler, sometimes having consistency is important as well! (Plus, what would I do until this year's garlic is ready for harvest?)

No comments:

Post a Comment