Saturday, July 2, 2011

Turnip Two Ways

One of my favourite things about discovering new vegetables is finding new recipes to try. I love to read cookbooks, just looking at the recipes and imagining what they might be like. Although I love to cook and try new things, it's easy for me to get into the same old "same old" routine, just because it's easy and I'm busy. But when I have foods that I'm not quite sure what to do with, new recipes seem like much less of a bother. And having them handed to me is even better!

Tonight for supper, we tried "turnip two ways" which was actually a very delicious dish, and quite simple (and quick!) to make. I used some whole grain spelt linguini, which paired nicely with the hakurei turnips and greens. Since I didn't have green garlic, I used a clove of regular garlic, and a few scapes. Next time I would definitely add more scapes! The lemon and olive oil was a very light taste, and I did add some fresh grated parmesan as suggested in the recipe. I forgot to add salt and pepper until I saw my husband adding some at the table. oops! Adding them brightened up the flavour a bit. Once again, we had a few leftovers, and I got a freezer meal out of it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment