Thursday, July 28, 2011

hurrah!

New Veggies! It's always a happy day when new veggies come home. This week our share included:


orange and purple carrots (2 bunches!)
red potatoes
multicoloured swiss chard
young onions
dill
green head lettuce
red, orange, yellow, and purple cherry tomatoes
green and yellow baby zucchini
yellow beans (and a few purple ones)
hakurei turnips

You may have noticed that our share seemed very "rainbow". That is one thing that I particularly love about RHG- they grow all sorts of heirloom varieties, which are fun to eat, and also good for plant diversity. So many great veggies are being eliminated in the supermarkets' quest for "perfectly normal" items. "Good produce" in the grocery store is defined by being consistent, always the same.

I was especially reminded of this at work today as I sat eating my colourful cherry tomatoes. One of my co-workers asked what in the world I was eating this time. (I am known for having unusual things in my lunch) Once I explained what they were, and where they were from, she said she'd not want to even try something weird like that. Even after being assured that they tasted just as good if not better than "normal" ones.

I very much enjoy trying new varieties of veggie, and am so happy I have the opportunity to share the adventure with my husband and 1 year old daughter. Susannah is a wonderful eater so far, and enjoys food. I hope I can instill in her an adventurous palate. Last year, her first carrots were purple, yellow, and white ones we bought at the "Taste of the Valley" event where we discovered Rainbow Heritage Garden.

One thing I am very excited to make this week is borscht. We still have some beets from a previous week, and with the fresh dill and other veggies it will be amazing. The "recipe" I use for borshct is an all-veggie variety, handed down from my husband's family (Ukrainian). I use quotes as it is more just a list of ingredients, and I find it turns out different every time. But it's always delicious.

I'm hoping there is enough dill left to try out the garlic and dill roasted potatoes, although if the weather stays warm I'm not going to be using my oven- BBQ it is!

I am also looking forward to making the turnip two ways again. We especially enjoyed it with feta cheese, so I plan to use that again.

Tonight we had chicken tacos, with some of the lettuce and tomatoes. A fairly basic meal for us, but not every night can be veggie-centric (and veggie-tastic!)

1 comment:

  1. I guess 'weird' is a relative word... colourful produce is definitely our 'normal'! I too am raising a wee one to enjoy and value the different colours, flavours and varieties of food. The only way to preserve agri-biodiversity is by eating lots of heirlooms - the more people want to eat them the more of them that farmers will grow ; ) Oh - I did the dill roasted potatoes yesterday - delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete