Tuesday, July 5, 2011

last day of the week

Last day of the week... the end of the veggies. Sigh...

The end of the week usually means eating up the veggies we're either less fond of, or don't know what to do with. It's hard to get excited about something you haven't found a way to like yet.

And there is always the question... What's for dinner? This week we have a few green onions and some radishes left. What kind of meal can you make from that? Well, we had radish sandwiches! (Susannah had some leftover turkey burger). Radish sandwiches is something my dad would make when I was a kid. They're still as good as I remember. It's the only way I've ever liked a radish. My husband enjoyed the sandwiches as well.

Radish Sandwich: Two slices of whole wheat bread, butter, thin slices of radish, a bit of salt (and pepper if you wish). That's it! Using the easter egg radishes made them even prettier than usual. I even made a pattern from the purple, pink, and white circles.

The last day of the week is also the day that our CSA posts the produce list for the next day. Maybe they know we need the excitement. This week, there are two "choice" items that I am excited about. We can choose between green peppers or broccoli, and between cilantro or mint. For us, the choices are no-brainers- we're not pepper eaters and we LOVE broccoli (it's one of Susannah's favourite foods), and the only thing I use mint for is tea, but many of our favourite recipes feature cilantro. We're going to see lots of greens coming our way. There are some repeats from last week, as well as some new intros for the season. I can't wait to pick up our veggies tomorrow :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how fun!! I'm a member and a blogger too...I still have radishes to use up from last week (when in France we often ate buttered baguette, alternating bites of radish...YUM!!) I made the Hakurei turnip and cucumber salad that Kylah linked to last week...it was so fresh and amazing! Will try the Turnips Two Ways pasta this week. I love having to creatively use up stuff...I am much less likely to waste, because I feel like I'm insulting K and Z if I throw anything out! Great idea for a blog...make sure to come visit mine!

    ReplyDelete