Saturday, July 9, 2011

busy busy

When our schedules get busy, I find it hard to take the time to cook. And this week has been busy. We have not eaten many of our beautiful vegetables yet. Last night, we just threw some burgers on the BBQ and had lettuce along with them. (I hesitate to claim it was salad, since it was just lettuce with dressing on, but that's "salad" in my house!) And the night before, we had dinner out. But tonight I cooked up the turnip two ways again, and we loved it even more than the first time I made it. Finally, a real veggie meal.

This time, I had a larger bunch of turnips, I used feta cheese (last time I used parmesan), and I remembered the salt and pepper! I also used the young garlic. It almost seemed like a different meal.

Tonight, we really enjoyed the creaminess of the melted feta. Last time the pasta had more of a light dressing, this time it seemed more sauce-like. The turnip rounds are little bursts of sweetness amid the salty sourness of the lemon-feta sauce. I cooked them a little slower this time, which I think enhanced their natural sweetness even more. And the greens add beautiful colour. Last time, the lemon was almost overpowering (I thought it was ok, my husband thought it was a little strong), but this time it seemed the perfect amount. I think the cheese made the difference.

An excellent meal- one will be featured frequently in our house!

No comments:

Post a Comment