Wednesday, July 13, 2011

comfort zone

Everyone has a comfort zone. Mine can be pretty small! So when I had to make the choice between fennel and kale, it was difficult! Weird fluffy green-feathered peacock, vs. tough-looking, green frilly lace.
Fennel- these have less "feathers" than the ones at RHG-
they really did remind me of peacocks
Kale- at least the ones I chose were single leaves in a bunch

Ok, so kidding aside, I was quite intimidated at the prospect of either of these vegetables. I do enjoy trying new things, but it's much easier if I'm forced into it. (as in, it's in my share, I have to take it!) Having to choose which I am going to discover is a whole new level out of my comfort zone.

In the end, although I was very curious about the fennel (and tempted at the photo opportunities) I went with the kale, cuz I've heard a lot of people mention kale chips. My husband loves all "crunchy munchies" so I'm thinking kale chips might be a hit. (now I just have to find a good, easy recipe!)

The rest of our share contained salad mix, red head lettuce, young onions, garlic, parsley, beets, and TWO BROCCOLI! I am so excited about the broccoli. It is one of our favourite veggies and we often had it at least once a week. Since we started our CSA I've been missing it, so I am very happy to have my familiar friend broccoli back for a visit. I'm sure Susannah will agree.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Monica!

    Kale chips are a favourite around the farm. Here is a link to a simple recipe: http://blog.hippoflambe.com/2009/12/kale-chips-not-just-bad-joke.html . However, we LOVE kale prepared just about any way. There is a great recipe for a raw kale salad in the most recent issue of the LCBO magazine that is also really delicious. However, I always recommend lightly 'massaging' kale before eating it raw - this tends to reduce any supposed 'toughness'. I have also been chopping it up very fine and disguising it in Dayvah's scrambled eggs ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. tried those kale chips... not too bad! thanks for the recipe, kylah :)

    ReplyDelete