Sunday, July 3, 2011

chinese cabbage

After using less than half of our enormous chinese cabbage in the pad thai a few days ago, I needed something else to do with it. I had planned to use some in a stir fry or pasta dish (easy) but I was intrigued by this chinese cabbage salad that I came across. I actually had all the ingredients in the house, so I decided to try it for dinner tonight.

The recipe calls for a medium head of chinese cabbage. Since I wasn't sure what size they normally are (mine seemed big, but maybe that's how they come?) I googled it! I discovered that "chinese cabbage" is basically synonymous with "green or green-and-white asian vegetable" and there are many different varieties, including napa cabbage and bok choy. Based on the amounts of the other ingredients in the recipe, I concluded that my now-just-large head of chinese cabbage was probably still too much. I still have enough left to add to a stir fry!

Let me tell you... this salad is AMAZING! The perfect blend of sweet and sour flavours. A very light but zippy dressing. A nice assortment of crunches from the apples, cabbage, and almonds. This has become my favourite salad, and I've only made it once! I am looking forward to the rest of it in my lunch tomorrow. The recipe says it works well to make ahead, so while I normally hate "second day salad" I am willing to give this one a try. We will definitely be having this again... as soon as we get another chinese cabbage!

No comments:

Post a Comment