Wednesday, July 6, 2011

the unexpected

My husband would be the first to tell you- I do not always deal well with the unexpected. So when Susannah and I went to the farm to pick up our veggies today, and I discovered that our veggie list was slightly different than that posted on the farm blog, I was slightly disappointed. Not a huge bit- just a little. I completely understand why things happen like that- I grew up on a farm. I know how the weather can play havoc with plans, and how things don't always grow exactly as expected. And so while I was not upset in any way, I was a little disappointed. I had seen the choice items on the list, and had easily made my choices. Or so I thought!

Our beautiful veggies (and strawberries).

Our veggie share this week consisted of:
salad mix (huge bag of it!)
pac choi
spinach and chard mix
head of lettuce (surprise!)
green garlic
hakurei turnips (big bunch!)
strawberries
peas (surprise!)
green peppers (which we didn't take since we don't eat them... but they looked cute!)

zucchini
scapes (or cilantro- tough choice, but we took the scapes since I have a bit of cilantro left over from last week, and because scape season doesn't last forever)


The farm worker who assisted us with gathering our share was kind enough to offer me an extra zucchini because we didn't take our green peppers. I had been looking forward to giving Susannah her first taste of local broccoli (her favourite veggie!) but that will just have to wait another week. It was hard though, seeing fresh broccoli there that others would be receiving!

But, in spite of my slight disappointment, I am very excited about our veggies for the week. Tonight we're having turkey tacos, so we'll be using some of the garlic (with the meat), and some lettuce. we discovered we are out of ground turkey! So we had perogies that we found in the deep freeze while looking for the turkey. Once the perogies were cooked, we threw the peas into the water, and enjoyed the fresh peas (what was left after snacking on them). We supplemented the fresh peas with some frozen ones, but they're just not nearly as good.

This week, I am also excited to try this recipe for pac choi with rice noodles. And I foresee a lot of salads in our future! I want to make the turnip two ways again as well, since we all enjoyed it, and our bunch of turnips looks even bigger this week.

Once again, Susannah made a beeline for the strawberries as soon as we got home.
My little strawberry thief.

She loves her fresh local berries.

2 comments:

  1. I'm jelous that you guys got peas, another head of lettuce and zucchini! At our pickup in Pembroke we got broccoli, peppers (green and purple!) as well as everything else you got. The broccoli was soooo good, when you get it I'm sure you'll enjoy it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you enjoyed the broccoli! I would be sad if you didn't. I hope we get some soon! :)

    ReplyDelete