Saturday, August 6, 2011

Preserving

Once again, I spent a Saturday acquiring fruit and tucking it away for winter.

Today I stopped in at the Pembroke Farmer's Market (needed more garlic for making pesto) and happened across someone selling harvest apples! I was so excited, as these are the apples my mom made applesauce with when I was a kid, and I've looked for them unsuccessfully for years. They are small, greenish-yellow in colour, and fairly soft and sweet- perfect for making applesauce. I got an approximate half-bushel, which produced 13 pints of applesauce. (I prefer pint jars)

Also on today's agenda was a trip to Hugli's Blueberry Ranch to do some blueberry picking. This was my first time ever picking blueberries, and I enjoyed it. Several other pickers commented on the lack of berries, but I thought the picking was good. It took a little effort, as many of the berries liked to hide within the branches, but I didn't mind. I was fortunate enough to be serenaded by a wedding happening on the grounds.

With some of the blueberries, I made my favourite kind of jam- Blueberry Lime Ginger jam. The basic recipe comes from the Bernardin home canning cookbook, although I've tweaked it a bit.


5c crushed blueberries
zest and juice of 1 large lime (or 2 small ones)
1T fresh grated ginger
1 pkg regular fruit pectin
5c sugar

Combine berries, lime zest and juice, and ginger in a large pot. Add pectin slowly, stirring to dissolve. Bring fruit to a rolling boil. Add sugar all at once and return to a rolling boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Ladle into jars, and process for 10min in boiling water bath.

This time, it produced 8c of jam.


Our meals have not been too exciting lately. Wednesday we had burgers with broccoli. Thursday we had noodle stir fry with hoisin sauce, using broccoli, peas, onions, and chicken. Friday Susannah and I had grilled cheese with carrots (hers cooked, mine raw). Tonight we had turkey burgers with peas. Nothing real inspired, but all of it tasty. At least we've been managing to get our veggies in at each meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment