Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Leftovers

Some weeks, it feels like all you're eating is leftovers. This has been one of those weeks for me. Now, don't get me wrong- I am very much enjoying what I'm eating, and I regularly eat a lot of supper leftovers for lunches at work. I guess I just feel like I haven't cooked much. Or maybe it's just that I've been busy. Because looking at the list, we've had mostly "new" meals

This week, we had several amazing meals on our menu:
- Borscht with fresh whole wheat rolls (thanks to my bread machine for a starring role in that meal)
- Grilled (local!) lamb chops with roasted garlic-dill potatoes and fresh beans
- Turnip two ways pasta (using whole spelt linguini, and feta cheese)
- Chicken kabobs (with onion and zucchini) with rice
- Homemade BBQ burgers x2 (once with fresh beans, once with salad)
- Chicken tacos (with lettuce and the beautiful cherry tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, and cheese)
- Chicken quesadillas (with lettuce and cherry tomatoes, etc.)

Also, tomorrow is "New Veggie Day" which means that anything left in my fridge becomes a leftover from the previous week. This week, we have a few carrots left, one green onion, and some chard. Otherwise, we actually ate up all our veggies! (Well, there are 2 containers of borscht in the freezer, and a meal of turnip two ways for my lunch at work, and a few extra potatoes in the fridge too.) I'm not worried about the carrots- I know they'll get eaten up, and the onion will easily get tossed into something. It's the chard that worries me! I can think of several ways I could use it, but because it's not something I'm familiar with, it gets put off in favour of meals that I know I love, and require less thinking to make. What I need is a recipe that gets me excited, that I just HAVE to make it.

Looking ahead to the list for tomorrow, there are lots of choices- some easy, some more difficult. However, I am trying not to focus on the list, as I'm sure there will be some changes by the time pick-up time rolls around. And we all know how I deal with the unexpected! But it looks like a great list- once again, I am excited to collect our veggies and start a new week of our tasty adventure.

6 comments:

  1. You are too funny.
    :)

    For the turnip two ways... Did you prepare it two ways, or just serve with two different things?

    Is regulars chard like Swiss or rainbow chard?
    Just a simple salad, with a nice, light, vinaigrette would be my stand by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turnip Two Ways is a recipe, I blogged about it previously (look for the post with the same name) and there is a recipe link in there. It uses the turnips and the turnip greens.

    It is baby rainbow chard, but I think regular chard is similar, just bigger. My husband is not excited about a chard salad- he pretty much just likes lettuce in a salad. (no spinach, etc). I might have to take it for work for myself! Do you have a vinaigrette recipe you love?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is a direct link to the recipe: http://serenbefarms.wordpress.com/2010/04/27/recipe-turnip-two-ways-pasta/

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great way to find ideas of how to use up things like chard is to visit the site http://www.tastespotting.com/ and just type in 'Chard'. It will bring up the best recipes from the best food blogs on line. This is where I find nearly all of my recipes that I post on our blog. Some recipes are of course more intricate and others quite simple. I LOVE to just melt chard into a simple pasta dish with cheese, bacon and/or other veggies. It's also great in an omelette or frittata. Basically, you can use it any way you would spinach (even in lasagna!), but remember that if you are also using the stems (and this only applies to a more mature chard since young ones still have quite a tender stem) they need to cook longer than the leaf. A nice way to use the more mature stems is on a veggie tray - a great substitute for celery. The stems are also nice in a soup instead of celery.... hope that helps you use it up ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS - next year we are going to host a 4 part nutritional cooking class on the farm that will revolve around using in season local veggies like chard. It will be open to the community but there will be a small discount for CSA members ; ) We are very excited about this!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds exciting Kylah! I would definitely love to participate.

    And thanks for the chard suggestions- we did have a salad of it at lunch today and both enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete