Monday, September 5, 2011

Zucchini Fries

With all the zucchini we've been getting from our CSA share, we've had to get creative to keep from getting tired of it. I was just thinking today that zucchini is one of my favourite veggies, perhaps because it is SO versatile! It's great roasted, in a stir-fry, grilled on the BBQ, in a pasta sauce, made into fritters, in an omelet, and even baked in muffins and desserts. And I've heard it's good stuffed, but haven't tried that yet.

Tonight for dinner we tried zucchini fries, and they are a new favourite! The coating was perfectly crispy, while the insides were deliciously juicy. And I made some garlic mayo to go with them, which was the perfect creamy accompaniment.
Susannah enjoying her zucchini fries
I used panko breadcrumbs, which I think helped to make them even crispier. I also went very easy on the red pepper flakes, as Susannah and I don't like a lot of heat. Next time, I would add some garlic powder to the breadcrumb mixture, and maybe a little more oregano. Or something. They seemed like they could use a little more flavour, although with the mayo it wasn't noticeable.
all that was left when I remembered to take a picture
I meant to take a picture of them, but we inhaled the first tray, and the second tray disappeared almost as fast. Susannah absolutely loved them- I think she ate at least 10 "fries" which is almost one (small) zucchini's worth! It was hard to know which she loved more though, the fries or the garlic mayo.
playing around
Suggested with the zucchini fries recipe is a roasted garlic aioli, and while I do love garlic, I'm not crazy about it roasted. Plus, I did not have time to roast a head of garlic today. But I did want a dipping sauce for the fries (who doesn't!) so I threw together the easiest dip ever. Garlic mayo. Not that it really needs a recipe, but I know there are some people out there (my mom) who prefer to use a recipe for everything. And I mean everything.

Garlic Mayo
1c mayo
4 cloves garlic 
a sprinkle of pepper 
Press garlic through garlic press. Mix with mayo. Sprinkle with pepper and mix again. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment