Sunday, September 4, 2011

Grape Pie

Last week I made grape jam with Coronation grapes (seedless blue grapes) but had more cooked squished grapes than I needed. I remembered a recipe I'd seen in my "Mennonite Community Cookbook" for Grape Pie. It always intrigued me, but I'd never tried making it. The grapes I had left over were almost exactly what I needed for the pie recipe- it's like it was meant to be! The recipe is designed for grapes with seeds, but since I had seedless grapes I used them instead.
in the oven
Grape Pie
3.5c blue grapes (Concord, etc.)
1c sugar
4T flour
1.5T butter, melted
1T lemon juice
pastry for covered 9" pie, or 9" pie shell plus crumb topping

Wash, drain, and stem grapes. Remove skins and simmer pulp for 5 minutes. While hot, press pulp through seive to remove seeds. Combine strained pulp with skins.
OR
use 2.5c cooked seedless grape mash leftover from making jam!

Combine flour and sugar, and add to grapes. Blend in lemon juice and melted butter. Pour into pie shell. Cover with top crust OR crumb topping (see below).

Bake at 425*F for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350*F for 30-40 minutes.

Crumb Topping
3/4c flour
1/2c sugar
1/3c melted butter
Rub flour, sugar, and butter together to form crumbs, and sprinkle on top of pie.

finished product
So, how did it taste? It was excellent. I wasn't sure how the filling would turn out, but it came out smooth and sticky- solid enough that it didn't run all over the place, but definitely not firm. Pretty much exactly how you want a filling to be. The grapey flavour was not as strong as I expected, but it was still delicious. The crumb topping reminded me of a fruit crisp- yum! Definitely a recipe I will make again.
mmm... pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment