Wednesday, September 7, 2011

It's Veggie Day! It's Veggie Day!

When I got home from picking up our share, it was dinner time, and I couldn't find the camera. So the veggies got tucked away in the fridge without a photo session.

In our wonderful share this week we received:


green and yellow zucchini (I love the two-tone look!)
broccoli (Susannah was loving on the broccoli as I was picking up the rest of my share- it's her favourite!)
green onions
garlic
red head lettuce
bag of "oriental mix" (mixed greens for salad or saute)
beets
cherry tomatoes (I love these! they are so cute and pretty, they look like jewels, or marbles)
2 (small) yellow watermelons

These watermelons really are amazing, and I think they just keep getting sweeter! I know our 2nd one seemed sweeter than the first. While we were at the farm, Kylah cut up a melon that had split, and it was just as good as the others we've had. Susannah enjoyed several slices, as did I (and everyone else who was picking up their veggies at the time). Kylah commented that the melons are so good they're exploding with flavour and goodness! I think that is true of all the produce we receive from the farm!

I am not sure what all I'll come up with for meals this week. Tonight we had Black Bean and Pumpkin Chili which was very tasty. It didn't have many of our CSA veggies in it (just onion and garlic), but the black beans were from a previous CSA we were part of. The only changes I made to the recipe were I omitted the peppers, and added a bit of chipotle powder, and a bit of honey (I always do when I'm cooking with tomatoes- it takes some of the acidity away). I suppose I also used dried beans (not canned) but I soaked and cooked them before adding, so they were in pretty much the same state. It cooked up real nice in the crockpot, and was ready when we arrived home from our farm adventure. We had it with bread and garlic butter (made with fresh CSA garlic!) and it was a wonderful, hearty meal.

Another project of mine today was a "thank you" gift for our sitter. I used the chocolate zucchini loaf recipe, except made cupcakes out of it. I also made them just plain chocolate, rather than adding other flavourings (mostly cuz I didn't have any on hand!) They turned out very nicely- one recipe makes 12 cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment