Monday, June 25, 2012

Rediscovering Radishes

Radishes are one veggie I've always thought I should like, but don't. They're so pretty, and crunchy... but often have quite a bite to them. I can handle them in a radish sandwich, and can tolerate them in a salad. But they're one veggie I haven't really enjoyed- until now.

As with other veggies from our CSA basket, I've once again discovered a different way to present something I previously did not enjoy, in a way that I now love. Tonight it was roasted radishes. No longer will I dread getting radishes in my CSA share, not knowing what to do with them but not wanting them to go to waste. I now have an excellent way to eat them- which even includes the greens!

Our delicious dinner.
Our dinner tonight consisted of BBQ chicken breast, sauteed kale, and roasted radishes in browned butter and lemon. The presentation on my plate is not as appealing as it could have been- the greens got fairly wilted as I waited for the chicken to be ready, and the radishes were fairly soft so some of them got squished. However, the flavour was amazing. There was just enough butter on the soft sweet radishes, and the lemon flavour really came through in the greens giving them a nice zing. They were also very pretty- I left a wee bit of the stems on each radish, and the colour was more noticeable once the radishes were roasted. We will definitely be enjoying this side dish again, although I plan to decrease the roasting time by a few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment