Saturday, November 26, 2011

Venison Stew

Never having cooked venison before, this meal was an experiment! We were given some frozen stew chunks of venison from some hunter-friends, and I was just told to "soak it in apple juice before cooking it- maybe with a little vinegar". Right.

Anyway, I marinated it overnight in some apple juice with a splash of vinegar for good measure,  and searched for a slow cooker venison stew. I found one here and it was a winner! (I used extra apple juice instead of beef stock, and did not save my flour, but otherwise followed the recipe)
delicious stew

I forgot to take a picture of it the first time we had it, but the recipe made lots and I did remember a picture tonight at supper. Tonight I also tried some "Cheese and Potato Scones" which used leftover mashed potatoes, and were delicious!
Cheese and Potato Scones
(from Company's Coming "Recipes for Leftovers")


1+1/2c flour (I used 1c whole wheat, and 1/2c white)
3/4t salt
2+1/4t baking powder

Combine the above, then cut in 1/4c butter. Add 1/3c grated sharp cheddar. (I also added some fresh rosemary and garlic that I had around)

Mix 2/3c leftover mashed potatoes with 1/4c milk. Stir into flour mixture, and continue stirring until a soft dough forms. (I needed to use my hands to help it a bit)

Knead 6 times, then pat into a circle 8" across, and about 1" thick. Place on baking sheet, and score into 6 or 8. (depending on how large you want your scones)

Bake at 425F for 20min. Break or cut apart and serve.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever tried a recipe with potatoes in it that I didn't like! Thank you for sharing!

    Veralynn
    joiedeveralynn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom use to make me beef stew with carrots and potatoes. I loved it. I'd look forward to it every day.

    -Zane of ontario honey

    ReplyDelete